It’s only 8:30 p.m. and I am exhausted. I should be getting through my students’ final project proposals, but I can’t focus. I just want to crawl into bed and stay there for a day or so. I have no explanation for this. I used to be able to stay up very late.
Actually, I probably do have an explanation. I’m on the wrong end of 20 for late nights and debauchery (or late nights spent working on school stuff, in this case). I am trying not to envy my younger self, so here’s big me picking on little me (specifically, 17-year-old me).
1. Look at that hair. Why didn’t my mom make me comb it before I left the house?
2. That’s not all that’s wrong with that hair. Holy roots.
3. That shirt makes me look like Gilligan. I had others like it.
4. I couldn’t drink.
5. I couldn’t vote!
6. Sometimes I was mistaken for a little boy.
7. Crap bands like 3 Doors Down and Creed were huge during this time.
8. I was afraid of the cool kids.
9. I misclassified who was cool and who was uncool.
10. I am 98 percent certain that when this picture was taken, I was wearing underwear with glow-in-the-dark spaceships printed on them.
OK, big me feels a little better.